This section, added according to the requirements of paragraph 4.I of the
GNU FDL, describes the history of the
document, not of the PNG format. (It may be moved to a separate page
if it grows too unwieldy for the Preface.)
PNG: The Definitive Guide
O'Reilly & Associates
The first edition was published in softcover (paper) format in June 1999.
This is the first online version of the book, released under the GNU Free
Documentation License and published in July 2003. The original title and
cover image are used with permission of the original publisher (O'Reilly
and Associates). The complete text may be downloaded from SourceForge.net.
The principal change, obviously, is the fact that Version 2 is an electronic
(HTML) edition rather than paper, intended to be read using any reasonably
modern web browser. The original troff source was automatically converted
by Lenny Muellner to HTML, which was then modified as follows:
- Filenames and all internal HTML references (chapters, subsections,
table numbers, figure numbers) were off by one in the auto-conversion;
- Expanded table of contents and navigation sections at the top of each
chapter to include subsections, not just chapters or top-level
sections; added inter-chapter navigation bars (previous/contents/next).
- Converted ``Parts'' from verbatim replications of multiple
chapters to corresponding excerpts from the table of contents.
- Changed auto-converted ``text images'' back to plain text using
Unicode and Latin-1 entities (gamma, mu, Delta, delta, right arrow,
- Added cover page, title page, copyright page, dedication, list of
tables, list of figures, pages for original color plates (including
captions), and license page.
- Recreated index and linked page numbers to appropriate HTML anchors;
added new entries.
- Converted GIFs (from auto-conversion) to PNGs; rebuilt inlined, shrunken,
grayscale figures with original, color source images wherever possible;
added links to full-scale source images where necessary.
- Converted four text-mode listings in Chapter 9 to tables and updated
table references accordingly; added mention of PNG chapter in the
Lossless Compression Handbook.
- Restored 99 lines of missing text(!) in Chapter 14 (lost in
- Corrected all errata noted on both
author's web pages, as well as several others in the index and
- Updated web links associated with the book or its author (particularly
- Reverted some O'Reillyisms (Gimp, frontend, backend)
to original text (GIMP, front end [noun] or
front-end [adjective], etc.).
- Cleaned up various bits of formatting.
- Added ``About'' and ``History'' sections to preface. These sections
(together with some other additions) are in
green text to distinguish them more easily
from the original text.
As noted in the previous section, I intend to continue updating the HTML
version, but this will probably be limited to fixing broken links and tying
some of the sections more closely to appropriate pages on the
PNG web site. Any such changes
will be noted here in an ongoing changelog.